Monday, April 13, 2015

The Evolution of my Warrior Princess Mehrnaz Zahra

My 2nd born Mehrnaz was born a premie, very sick and at that time doctors gave her only a 50% chance of survival within 48 hours.   



 With ALLAH’s will, prayers from family and friends, our endless support and obviously medical staff from East Shore Hospital as well as KKH, our warrior princess Mehrnaz pulled through. She spent 10 days in Isolation Room at the NICU and another about 20 days in the High dependency ward before being discharged. I spent everyday day in the hospital with her from morning to night. At night, I woke up every 2-3 hours to express milk for her supply in the hospital. And this goes on for the whole month. My mom helped me watch over Neelu on some days and on other days, she goes the daycare centre at the same hospital, since I used to work in KKH too.






During her first 3 years of life, Mehrnaz is one tough cookie. She has always been very temperamental and very hot tempered. At times, I just lost it! I am very sure the teachers at her daycare can vouch for it. She looks so sweet and innocent BUT she is a very tough kid. She loves to hang out more with the boys. She climbs the window panels like a SPIDERMAN with the lil boys in the infant room.
Once she moved to the Toddler class, she displays a very strong character, I call that STUBBORN!

Thankfully the teachers at Learning Vision @ KKH during those years are wonderful and very patient. They tolerated her and eventually managed to calm her lil more. As time goes by, she became less hot tempered and temperamental.



When she was around 4 years old, I quit my job and became a SAHM. She therefore has to be transferred to a PCF Kindergarten near my home. This move saw another change in her; she became more reserved and anti-social. She refused to participate in class activities and play with only selected friends. I am not sure if it has anything to do with that school. About a year later, we moved to Pasir Ris and she attends another PCF Kindergarten nearby our new home, and in this school I can see her change for the better.

She still has that strong character and very straight forwards with her views, however, she made more friends now, participate in class activities and most importantly will never ever want to miss a day of school. She loves going to school. She also surprised me when she expressed her desire to take part in pageants like how Neelu always did. Previously, when I sign Neelu up for pageants, Mehr will not want. She does not like the attention, so I do not want to force her. I always want them to do things they enjoy.

Since this time she wants to join, I signed both of them up for this particular pageant. Hmmmm….. But sadly I feel that was the biggest mistake I made for Mehrnaz!
That was our first time joining this type of big scale pageants, so I did not know that is a “BUY YOUR OWN TIARA” kind of pageant. The more u spent in the pageant, the higher your chance of getting crowned. Honestly, I have heard if such things in pageants involving adults but with KIDS, that’s my first encounter and definitely the last!

Mehr started off being very shy during the first few rehearsals but gradually she transformed to this girl who is more confident. She did the Q & A, the beachwear and also performed a talent show.





Sadly, during the final she is the only kid in that category that did not get anything. In fact, there are only 4 of them in that category. One kid refused to do it at the last minute and left 3. It was quite shocking to see them crown 2 winners for that same category for the same title. One of the girls surely deserves it, she speaks, talks and walks very well, but the other kid, her parent spent a BOMB and that we know! 


Honestly, she really did not do well but from what I heard later, they got to crown her coz he parent spent a lot on the pageant. Pffft!!! And that not only pisses me off, it hurts Mehr’s pride very badly. Since then she took another turn and became very negative. She always believes that she cannot do well. 

After that event, for the 1st time Mehr broke down, she told me that they are so unfair. In her words “But that girl never walk properly, only bang anyhow on the drum set for talent and they give her a crown! I hate them!” That breaks my heart and I told myself never will I ever put any of my kids thru these kind of things!

So yeah, that brought her down again, but we never gave up on her! Soon, she got offered a role for Ollie and Friends Season 2 and many more TVCs etc... I told her then,” See, if you have real talent, it takes real people to recognize you, and that particular girl do not even get the chance to do things like you are doing now” It made her feel a lil better but still not so confident yet.













Finally, this year after her Throwback: Balik Kampong adventure, and also encouragement from her school principal for her to give a speech in school, my warrior princess emerged again! She came back one day telling me that she wants to take part in her school story telling competition. I let her tried it out; she auditioned for it and got selected to represent her class. And she surprised us even more on stage when she spoke so fluently and with full confidence. 


She even got a 2nd prize for that competition.



And since then, I see her positive side again and now she takes pride in all her work. She even got nominated as a Model Pupil this month.

Anyway, what prompted me to write this lengthy post was today’s episode of Throwback: Balik Kampong. I wasn’t there when the kids were doing the drawing and what Rozz said is very true, if nothing is done about her being so negative about herself, it’s going to be a problem later for her in life J



Anyway, each kid is different. Each of them has their own strength and weakness. You got to spend as much time as possible with them to notice their changes and guide them along the way. Childhood comes once in your kids’ lifetime, so don’t miss it.

All the above is just my personal honest opinion through my own experience,

Hope you have enjoyed watching all the episodes of 
Throwback : Balik Kampong so far.

Don't forget to cast your votes for your favourite family and here is how you do it :-

Ø Download "Togglenow" App
ØChoose Throwback Balik Kampong
ØChoose Throwback Voting Episode 6
ØRegister your Name, Contact & Email

Voting will be closed on 14th April 10pm Singapore Time !!!!

No comments: