Friday, April 10, 2015

Getting used to the Kampong

Now that decision has been made and we have been convinced that ALL IZZZ WELL!

Before we left for the adventure, we were given a medical check-up for insurance purpose.

On the day of medical check-up, we met the Awads for the first time and that was when I realized that we are DEFINITELY going to be at a disadvantage as our family consists of 1 ADULT and 3 young girls! 

From that day on, I started talking to the girls and start to prepare them mentally, I told them that Winning is not a MUST, most importantly for us is to enjoy this experience, have FUN and be safe :) 

A few days later, all the 3 families are gathered for a meeting, That was our first time meeting the TANS and I am honestly glad to know that they have kids as young as mine, and that also assured me that my girls, especially Shona will have loads of fun as she have friends to play with.

During the short meeting, the kids get to know each other better. Neelu and Mehr enjoyed Hannah's company.







After the meeting ended, I felt a sense of assurance that we will be fine coz I know that in times of need, I am able to get help from the other two families. 

Before we know it, the day came and off we go.

One thing for sure, I never ever thought filming for a reality show can be sooooo TOUGH!

On the first day of shoot, we spent a couple of hours just doing the walking into the Kampong scene. 

Yes, it look really nice on TV to see us walk in a group with our suitcases down the road and into the Kampong BUT the sweat we shed just for that scene is MADNESS!! I was very sure we have started losing some weight from the 1st shoot itself! 


The kids especially the Tans and mine deserve a big pat on their back for the patience and effort doing the same scene repeatedly. NOT ALL KIDS can tolerate that I tell you! And these kids are not even 10 years old!



Anyway, since we are there, we just got to move on!

On the first day, our bags were taken away from us and we were given a NEW SET OF CLOTHING, Kampong clothing. It’s not so bad for me but for my girls the outfits they got were really uncomfortable, you know how thick saree material is and with the very hot weather, I really feel bad for them. But we do not have any other choice. I am glad my girls have been very understanding and adapted to the drastic changes quite well. Of course there have been some moments and complaints from them at times but after some explanations, they did as told.



 Next, is the hidden challenge that we were obviously not aware of! The first hut we were told to share was purposely left with broken walls, doors, windows etc.



We were actually expected to do the repair works together. Obviously, the men started working on the repair works as much as they can. As for me, being the only team without a MAN in my family, watched over my kids instead, together with the other 2 mommies. After all, this is a new place and I have to make sure none of my kids got lost somewhere in the kampong.



After sometime, the hosts came back and told us that we were actually judged on how much work we did to repair the broken hut, and the WINNER of this hidden challenge will be given the 1st chance to choose their “new home”.

Therefore, for very obvious reasons the Azimullah team/girls got the last place! So we were supposed to take whichever home was left.

That’s the beginning of us failing in all challenges, but the TANS showed us there is still kindness after all! They actually gave up their chance to pick one out of the 2 homes left! I am definitely very touched by their action and kindness. So, we picked the 2nd house which was situated very near the base camp and in between the other 2 houses. 



The TANS gesture gave me the opportunity to assure my girls that winning is NOT everything and losing doesn't mean it’s the end.
                                        

With the subsequent challenges thrown at us, we got used to LOSING and not getting upset about it all! We have come to terms that being able to complete the challenges and not backing out is already an achievement for our family.

                         


Life is short, so just be HAPPY and enjoy the moments since we are already there!



Till the next blog post, goodbye and lots of love from the AZIMULLAH Sisters

No comments: